The Graduate Student Relief Fund, established in Summer 2020, helps RPI graduate students who demonstrate financial hardship that threatens their academic progress. The fund is intended to provide a one-time grant to matriculated graduate students in immediate financial need. Allowable disbursements include, but are not limited to:
- travel expenses related to emergency situation (such as a death in the family)
- emergency medical or dental bills not covered by insurance
- replacement costs of essential academic supplies (not covered by financial aid) or personal items (possibly as a result of a fire, destruction, or natural disaster, not lost due to negligence)
- basic living expenses, including transportation, food, rent, or utilities
- safety related needs
The fund will NOT provide support for non-emergency items such as:
- costs included in the budgeted cost of attendance, such as tuition and fees
- study abroad costs
- non-essential academic or personal travel
- insurance fees
- costs associated with criminal or civil court cases
- expenses that are extravagant or non-utilitarian
The Student Success portfolio administers the Graduate Student Relief Fund. Applications are reviewed by a committee of members from across campus who work with graduate students.
To request the Graduate Student Relief Fund application, please e-mail Colleen Smith, dean of the graduate student experience. Dean Smith will follow up with unique link to application.